1. One post-doc position and one Phd position, Oxford Brookes, UK
2 year research fellowship start around 1st Feb 2011 and 3.5 year Phd position.
To engage in state of the art research in computer vision. In particular the work will be an EPSRC grant “Scene Understanding using New Global Energy Models”.
This proposal concerns scene understanding from video. Computer vision algorithms for individual tasks such as object recognition, detection and segmentation has now reached some level of maturity. The next challenge is to integrate all these algorithms and address the problem of scene understanding. The problem of scene understanding involves explaining the whole image by recognizing all the objects of interest within an image and their spatial extent or shape in 3D.
The first application to drive the research will be the problem of automated understanding of cities from video using computer vision, inspired by the availability of massive new data sets such as that of Google’s Street View http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/, Yotta http://www.yotta.tv/index.php (who have agreed to supply Oxford Brookes with data) and Microsoft’s Photosynth http://labs.live.com/photosynth/. The scenario is as follows: a van drives around the roads of the UK, in the van are GPS equipment and multiple calibrated cameras, synchronized to capture and store an image every two metres; giving a massive data set. The task is to recognize objects of interest in the video, from road signs and other street furniture, to particular buildings, to allow them to be located exactly on maps of the environment. A second scenario would be to perform scene understanding for indoor scenes such as home or office, with video taken from a normal camera and Z-cam.
2. Full Time PhD position with industry sponsored scholarship in the area of Video compression at IIT Delhi in collaboration with ST Microelectronics
(1) MTech /MS in computers, Electronics, Electrical, communication, Instrumentation or equivalent. A cut off percentage is calculated every year by the Department. The candidates can check the IIT Delhi web site for currently applicable cut off percentages.
(2) BTech in Electrical, Electronics, Communications, Instrumentation and Control or Computer Science with a valid GATE score (in ECE, EE, IN and CS). The eligible GATE percentile and BTech pass percentage is decided by the institute and candidate may check the IITD website for currently valid percentages/percentiles.
How to Apply: Applications are invited for the post twice a year (March/April and September/October) on the format specified by IIT Delhi central advertisement. Interested candidates may also write directly to any of the following round the year
3. Siemens - Innovation Think Tank Newsletter - December 2010
Dear Colleagues and Friends,
Innovation Think Tank is organizing an International student competition- "Be an inventor opportunity" with focus on new ideas & improvements on Medical Technologies and their supporting infrastructures. Students from any discipline can apply.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners will be given a prize of €5000, €3000 and €2000 respectively. Top 10 candidates would be additionally offered “Be an inventor opportunity” a unique chance to work on real life problems with Siemens inventors in a highly stimulating environment for a period of 3 months. An innovation camp would be organized. Winners will be given a choice to either work on their award winning idea or they can choose the problems from Innovation Think Tank Idea pool. Cost of travelling and accommodation along with stipend would be paid.
Call for participation and content guidelines could be downloaded from
Please distribute to Siemens partner universities, schools, research organizations etc. In case you need additional information please write to InnovationThinkTank.Healthcare@siemens.com
Be an inventor opportunity-International student competition
Technology transfer Workshop: - “Other Industrial applications of medical imaging devices e.g. baggage scanners, testing of materials etc.”
ITT workshop: “Product ideas for emerging markets”
ITT workshop: “Reduce noise of medical systems”