CS635: Web Search and Mining
dead links to me.
- Soumen Chakrabarti
- Teaching assistants
- Avinava Dubey ,
- Time and place
- The first lecture is on Fri 2009/01/02 in SIC301. The second
lecture is on 2009/01/06 Tue
2:00-3:25pm. After that we will move to the official slot 14 given by CSE.
- Visit the Moodle
site for CS635 here.
- Syllabus and lecture calendar
- See the moodle page.
- Course newsgroup
- Watch cse.cs635
(internal access) on jeeves.cse.iitb.ac.in for announcements.
- Instead of batched homeworks we will offer one ever-growing log file of homeworks
with a separate due date for each problem. To be worked out in small
groups of 2--3 students.
- What topic was covered
ResourcesBooks in decreasing order of use made in this course
But our main resource will be papers, which are linked off the course calendar.
I. H., Moffat, A., and Bell, T. C. (1999). Managing Gigabytes:
Compressing and Indexing Documents and Images. Morgan-Kaufman.
- Chakrabarti, S. (2002). Mining the Web: Discovering knowledge from hypertext data. Morgan-Kaufman.
- Baeza-Yates, R. and Ribeiro-Neto, B. (1999). Modern Information Retrieval. Pearson Education.
- Manning, C., Raghavan, P., and Schutze, H. (2007). An Introduction to Information Retrieval. Cambridge University Press.
- Grossman, D. A. and Frieder, O. (1998). Information Retrieval: Algorithms and Heuristics. Kluwer.
- Croft, B., Metzler, D., and Strohman, T. (2009, to appear). Search Engines: Information Retrieval in Practice. Pearson Education.
Credit students will need to write a midterm
(approximately 30%) and a final (approximately 40%) exam,
and do a few assignments, typically using Java, Scilab and WEKA
Audit students have to write only the final exam and, to
pass, their score must be above the bottom 20 percent of the class
in finals only.
have been finalized and are kept in a
Mtech1s, DD4s and Btech3s are the primary
targets for this course. But it is open to all PG, DD and Btech4
students of all departments subject to department/facad approval. If
you are CSE Btech3, ask for my consent by email
your CPI and grades in Paradigms and Prob/Stat.