Conference Papers and Presentations
Please note, older papers are under my maiden name Mainkar
- "Feedback based Distributed Admission Control in 802.11 WLANs" , Preetam Patil, Vipul Mathur, Varsha Apte and Kannan Moudgalya, to appear as Short paper (4-page) in the Proceedings of the 34th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN) to be held in Zurich, Switzerland, October 2009.
- "Adaptive Admission Control for Web Applications with Variable Capacity" , Vipul Mathur, Preetam Patil, Varsha Apte, Kannan M. Moudgalya, Short paper (5-page) in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS 2009), Charleston, South Carolina, USA, July 13-15, 2009.
- "Improving the IEEE 802.11 MAC Layer Handoff Latency to Support Multimedia Traffic" , Yogesh Powar and Varsha Apte, in the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Budapest, Hungary, April 2009.
- "PerfCenter: a performance modeling tool for application hosting centers" , Akhila Deshpande, Varsha Apte and Supriya Marathe, Proceedings of the 7th international workshop on Software and performance, June 2008, pages 79-90.
- A Proxy-based Self-Tuned Overload Control for Multi-Tiered Server Systems , Rukma P. Verlekar and Varsha Apte, in HiPC'07, the 14th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Goa, India, December 2007.
- PerfCenter: A Methodology and Tool for Performance Analysis of Application Hosting Centers , Rukma P. Verlekar, Varsha Apte, Bhavish Aggarwal and Prakhar Goyal, in MASCOTS'07, the 15th Annual Meeting of the IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, Istanbul, October 2007.
- An Autonomous Distributed Admission Control Scheme for IEEE 802.11 DCF , Preetam Patil and Varsha Apte, In QShine: International Conference on Heterogeneous Networking for Quality, Reliability, Security and Robustness, Vancouver, Canada, August 2007.
- AutoPerf: An Automated Load Generator and Performance Measurement Tool for Multi-tier Software Systems , Shrirang Shirodkar and Varsha Apte, Short Paper (Poster) in WWW'07, Banff, Canada, May 2007.
- An Overhead and Resource Contention Aware Analytical Model of Overloaded Web Servers , Vipul Mathur and Varsha Apte, in Proceedings of Workshop on Software Performance '07, Buenos Aires, Argentina, February 2007.
- A Methodology and Tool for Performance Analysis of Distributed Server Systems , Rukma P. Verlekar and Varsha Apte, (short paper) in Preoceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (Emerging Results Track), Shanghai, May 2006.
- Improving the Accuracy of WLAN based Location Determination Using Kalman Filter and Multiple Observers , Raman Kumar K. Varsha Apte, Yogesh Powar in Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), Las Vegas, April 2006.
- A Measurement Study of the Linux TCP/IP Stack Performance and Scalability on SMP systems , Shourya P. Bhattacharya and Varsha Apte, in the Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on COMmunication Systems softWAre and middlewaRE (COMSWARE), New Delhi, India, January 2006.
- A tool for automated resource consumption profiling of distributed transactions , B. Nagaprabhanjan and Varsha Apte, in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag - Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Computing and Internet Technology (ICDCIT), Bhubaneshwar, India, December 2005.
- PLUS-DAC: A Distributed Admission Control scheme for IEEE 802.11e WLANs , Kiran K. Gavini, Varsha Apte, Sridhar Iyer, in the Proceedings of the International Conference on Networking (ICON), Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysia, November 2005.
- Sizing of IEEE 802.11b Wireless LANs" , Preetam Patil and Varsha Apte, in the Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Workshop on Mobile Applications and Services in WLAN Hotspots (as Poster), held in conjunction with ACM Mobicom, Cologne, Germany, September 2005.
- "A Combined LIFO-Priority Scheme for Overload Control of E-commerce Web Servers" , Naresh Singhmar, Vipul Mathur, Varsha Apte and D. Manjunath, Proceedings of the International Infrastructure Survivability Workshop (affiliated with the 25th IEEE International Real-Time Systems Symposium), Lisbon, Portugal, 2004.
- "A Computational Complexity-Aware Model for Performance Analysis of Software Servers" , Vipul Mathur and Varsha Apte, To be published in the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems", Volendam, Netherlands, October, 2004.
- "Capacity Analysis of
the GSM Short Message Service" , Nilesh Agarwal,
Leena Chandran-Wadia and Varsha Apte in the
Proceedings of the National Conference on Communications, Bangalore,
- Performance Comparison of Dynamic Web Platforms" , Varsha Apte, T. Hansen, and P. Reeser, in the Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, 2001.
- "Internet Application Performance: A Signature-Based Empirical Approach" , A. Avritzer, R. Farel, K. Futamura, M. Hosseini-Nasab, A. Karasaridis, V. Mainkar, K. Meier-Hellstern, P. Reeser, P. Wirth, F. Hubner, D. Lucantoni, in International Teletraffic Congress, 2001.
- Availability Analysis of Transaction Processing Systems Based on User Perceived Performance" , 16th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, Durham, NC, October 1997.
- "Fixed Point Iteration Using Stochastic Reward Nets" , V. Mainkar and K. Trivedi, 6th International Workshop on Petri Nets and Performance Models, 1995. (Expanded Version)
- "Reliability Modeling Using Markovian and Non-Markovian Petri-Nets" V. Mainkar and Manish Malhotra. Invited paper in Int'l Conference on Fault Tolerant Systems, Madras, India, 1995.
- "Transient Analysis of Real-Time Systems Using Deterministic and Stochastic Petri Nets", V. Mainkar and K. Trivedi, Int'l Workshop on the Quality of Communication-Based Systems, 1994. (Expanded Version)
- "Techniques and Tools for Reliability and Performance Evaluation: Problems and Perspectives", Boudewijn R. Haverkort, Andy Rindos, Kishor Trivedi and V. Mainkar, 7th International Conference on Modelling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, May 1994.
- "Fast Approximate Computation of Response Time Distribution in Open Markovian Network of Queues", V.Mainkar, S. Woolet and K. Trivedi. Presented at 7th International Conference on Modelling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, May 1994.
- "Sensitivity Analysis of Markov Regenerative Stochastic Petri Nets" V.Mainkar, H. Choi and K. Trivedi. In the Fifth International Workshop on Petri Nets and Performance Models, Oct. 1993.
- Approximate Analysis of Priority Scheduling Systems using Stochastic Reward Nets", V.Mainkar and K. Trivedi. In Proceedings of the 13th Intl. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, Pittsburgh, May 25-28, 1993.
- "Sensitivity Analysis of Deterministic and Stochastic Petri Nets", H. Choi, V.Mainkar and K. Trivedi. In MASCOTS Conference Proceedings, San Diego, Jan 17-20, 1993.
- "Performance Modeling Using SHARPE", V.Mainkar anD K. Trivedi. Eighth Symp. on Reliability in Electronics, RELECTRONIC'91, Budapest, Hungary, August 1991.
Journal Papers, Book Chapters
- "An overhead and resource contention aware analytical model for overloaded Web servers", Vipul Mathur and Varsha Apte, Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 82, Issue 1, January 2009, pages 39-55.
- "Performance Comparison of Dynamic Web Platforms" , V. Apte T. Hansen, and P. Reeser, Computer Communications: Special Issue on Performance Evaluation of IP Networks and Services (26):8, May 2003.
- "Transient Analysis of Non-Markovian Queues via Markov Regenerative Processes", D. Logothetis, V. Mainkar and K. Trivedi in Probability and Statistics: A. J. Medhi Festschrift, New Age International, 1996.
- "Sufficient Conditions for the Existence of a Fixed Point in Stochastic Reward Net-Based Iterative Models" , V. Mainkar and K. Trivedi, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (22):9, September 1996, Special Section : Best Papers of the Sixth International Workshop on Petri Nets and Performance Models, 1995.
- "Reliability of life-critical real-time systems", . L.Tomek, V. Mainkar, R. Geist and K. Trivedi. Proceedings of the IEEE (82):1, January 1994.
- "Numerical Computation of Response Time Distributions Using Stochastic Reward Nets" , J. Muppala, K. Trivedi and V. Mainkar, Annals of Operations Research: Special Issue on Queueing Networks (48), 1994, pp. 155-184.
Listed as one of the Top Ten Downloaded artices from this journal in the year 2003.
Invited Conference Presentations
- "New Challenges in Performance Engineering" , International Conference on Stochastic Models, Kerala, India, December 2002.
- "Performance Implications of Security Protocols," with Paul Reeser. Presented at the 5th INFORMS Telecom Conference, Boca Raton, Florida, March 2000.
- "A Model
of a Web Server with Dynamic Content," Presented at the
INFORMS Fall Meeting, Philadelphia, November 1999.
"Performance and Reliability Analysis of Real-Time Systems Using Stochastic Petri Nets" Tutorial given in the Sixth International Workshop on Petri Nets and Performance Models, 1995.