meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
- Update to course pre-requisites
“DUGC decided that wherever CS 213 is a pre-req (minor or non-minor), EE 717 can be taken as pre-req.” 2014-03-14 DUGC
Admission to the Dual Degree Program
The procedure for a BTech student to convert to the Dual Degree Program is as follows. 2015-7-14 DUGC
- A Btech student can apply to convert to the DD program anytime from the beginning of semester 7 till the registration of semester 8.
- The student must submit a plan to finish all BTech credits and the honours credit requirement by end of the 4th year.
- At the time of conversion, the student must choose a willing faculty member as the guide for the DDP.
- The student must do a RnD project or a BTP with the chosen guide during the 8th semester.
- The DDP can be exited by the student anytime if he or she so wishes.
Approved course contents, course structure
- CS377 (OS lab), CS306 (PL lab) credit structure
“…the credit structure for OS lab and Compilers lab should be changed to 0-1-2-4, from the current 0-0-3-3. That is, the overall number of contact hours remains the same, but one contact hour is deemed as a tutorial hour, requiring student effort beyond the contact hour.”, DUGC minutes 15 Oct 2013
Institute UG Rules
- Handling academic dishonesty [137th Meeting of the SENATE 26.03.97]
- Grade conversion formula for exchange students [Senate meeting on 25/04/2018]
Departmental UG Rules
CSE core courses related
- “…courses tagged as CSE-Minors cannot be taken by CSE students. Only exception is if they fail the corresponding core course, in which case they need facad approval.” 2012-02-01 FM
- “Non-cse students cannot register for core CSE courses via the student ASC interface. This does not preclude these students from crediting these courses, except they now need to take instructor approval and submit the approval to ASC. This rule ensures that faculty are aware of which other department students are currently enrolled in their core courses.” 2012-02-01 FM
- Those with CS 215 (Data Analysis and Interpretation) as backlog, can complete the requirement by registering for any equivalent course such as EE 223 or CL 202.
- Students in the ARP can complete up to 4 courses through NPTEL, as approved in Senate: https://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/ugrulebook202017July.pdf (page 15, item 4.4). The DUGC page gives the feedback that was sent to the institute. A change that happened in the recent Senate meeting is that these courses will only count for credit requirements, and the grades will not be used for SPI/CPI calculations. The main point is if the student is in ARP this is allowed, otherwise no for core courses.
CSE electives related
- Out of the 36 department elective credits, a minimum of 18 credits must be obtained through CSE courses. The minimum number of credits through lecture based courses that must be tagged as department electives is 24.
Courses from other departments that are blacklisted cannot be taken as department electives. Courses from other departments must be officially cross-listed as CSE electives, for them to be considered CSE electives.
The current (as decided in April 2020 meeting) list of blacklisted courses and suggested courses from other departments is available at Blacklisted courses
There are no cross-listed courses currently. This will be applicable starting from Academic year 2020-21.
- Faculty may send proposals for cross-listing outside department courses to DUGC.
- Upto 2 department electives can be replaced by R&D projects, or BTP I or BTP II.
- Any course as allowed by the institute, with instructor consent, can be taken as department elective, subject to above restrictions. This may include minors courses from other departments (but not CSE) as per rules.
- Students with an active backlog may complete at most two department electives through NPTEL, as approved by Senate.
CSE Honours related
- a CSE honours requires 24 additional credits. New rule at the institute level. private:dugc:2013-07-24-minutes|2013-07-24 dugc and two previous meetings
- “CSE honours should have a minimum of 6-credit independent study requirement. This can be in the form of an R&D project or BTP-1.” 2011-04-27 FM
- “…only courses tagged [by the student] as honors course will count towards getting a Honors degree.” 2013-jul-24 DUGC
- “…only courses with a CSE tag that is only courses of the form CS yyy can be taken for Honours.
- ”…BTPs can be tagged as a departmental elective.“ 2012-jul DUGC
CSE Minors related
- “A department elective can be credited as one of the five minor courses (needed for finishing the minor credits).” 2013-08-01 FM
- “For getting a Minor degree in CSE, students must do at least 4 CSE M numbered courses and the fifth course can be any CSE elective course.” 2013-jul-24 DUGC
- “Only 1 R&D project allowed for minors” 2007-10-23 FM
BTP related (CS492 BTP-1, CS496 BTP-2)
- Joint BTP:
“It is recommended that if the project can be split into two then they submit separate reports.
If not possible, a common report may be submitted. However it should be ensured by the guide that the committee can assess the work done, the report writing skills & presentation skills of each student separately.” 2011-nov DUGC
R&D project related (CS490)
- ”…in case of the R&D project, a report submission is now compulsory, while a presentation is optional.“ 2011-04-27 FM
- “R&D project report should be available in public domain”?
“As such the reports are indeed in the public domain by default. However, they can be withheld from the public domain for a specified period (period to be specified by the supervisors and students and approved by Dean, Acad Prog) for reasons of IPR, etc.” 2011-nov DUGC
- UG students must only take 2 RnD projects. They should not take the PG courses corresponding to RnD projects. 2015-7-14 DUGC
Institute courses related
- EE112 in place of EE101 as institute core
“Branch change students can substitute EE112 in place of EE101 as an institute core course. This is because EE112 already covers the necessary background material for the Digital Logic Design course. They CANNOT choose to do both courses (EE112 and EE101) though, due to the overlapping content.” 2014-10-09 DUGC
- Course swap for branch change
“DUGC approved that PH103 can be taken instead of PH105, as an institute core, by branch change students.” 2014-03-14 DUGC
Other generic retagging related
- “Branch change students any time want to retag the 1st year courses from their parent department as CSE/Institute elective or want them to act as a substitute for some CSE course. Facad in consultation with head can decided on these without referring to DUGC.” 2013-jul-24 DUGC
- DD students can retag their courses in their 9th semester as well as after 10th semester, irrespective of what retagging they did as BTech students.2015-09-23 DUGC
- 8 or 4 credit course can be tagged as a departmental elective. Also, one 8 credit and one 4 credit will count as equivalent of two 6 credit courses.2015-09-23 DUGC
- Minor course offerings:
“Rationale behind set of minor course offerings: minor courses offered to those outside dept should help them use CS in their field better. They should offer direct value without requiring them to take further courses.” 2014-05-05 DUGC
- Exchange programs:
with our core courses and contact hours per course be made for
each university to establish equivalence with core courses.
The list of approved courses and equivalent courses will be sent to academic office.
The student representative will compile this information for
the universities under the MoU with the help of students who have
undergone or are applying for the exchange programs. The list
will be taken up in the next DUGC meeting for approval.”
- Works visit
works visits under the revised curriculum.
However, if the students themselves organize a works visit, and
a staff member accompanies them, appropriate funding will be
provided by the department.”
- Evaluation of BTP
“The DUGC recommends that a guide and examiner constitute a panel for the conduct of the examination; both first and second stages. The guide may increase the size of the panel if he/she so desires. A report + a presentation with one examiner is required for a BTP.”
- Evaluation of R&D project
“The evaluation of the R&D project is upto the guide. It is possible that part of same topic may be done as an R&D project and also as BTP. It is upto the guide to ensure that an adequate quantum of work is done to justify the credits. A separate report is required for the R&D project.”
- Lab course evaluation (feedback) form
“DUGC went through the two forms (Theory course evaluation form and Form-C for lab course evaluation) and decided that:“
“For the “CS296: Software Systems Lab” (1-3-0-8) and “CS308: Embedded Systems Lab” (0-0-4-4) labs, since there were significant classroom components, the theory form was more appropriate.”
“For the other lab courses, all of which were associated with a parallel theory course, Form-C for lab course evaluation (along with the instructor component) was more appropriate.”
- CS296 feedback form
“DUGC decided that the course evaluation has to be done, and that we will use the same form as for theory courses.” 2014-03-14 DUGC
- BTP allocation:
Faculty can use this page to put up their topics, in addition
to using other means such as listing available projects and criteria
on their homepages.
There will be no forced allocation by facad.
The last date to confirm BTP pairings is the last date of
registration. Faculty advisor will not approve registration
for BTP if the pairing is not confirmed.”
- Diwali and class non-cancellation
“Policy regarding Diwali holidays class cancellation.
DUGC disapproves of week-long rescheduling of classes.
DUGC recommends that any instructor who reschedules a week or more of contiguous classes, should first get in touch with other instructors of the affected batch and jointly consider the consequences of the reschedule before arriving at a decision.”
- Minor course strength
“The strength of the minor courses will be increased from 40 to 60.” 2013-08-01 FM
- CS213 minor course strength
“DUGC decided to increase the allowed class strength for CS213 minor to be 80, instead of the current 60.” 2014-03-14 DUGC
- Old question papers
“DUGC recommends that at least one set of question papers from the previous years be made available for students.” 2009-11-04 FM
(Recommendation, not a mandate).
- FacAd duties
“Facads should meet and evolve a strategy for detecting and handling problem cases. A budget will be set aside for faculty advisors for holding regular student meetings Approval of registration mandatory on physical meeting with the students.” 2008-11-19 FM
- Course Loading Committee (CLC)
“After the course loading committee (CLC) decides the instructor for a course, it will add a column to the spreadsheet which states all eligibility constraints for students to take the course (e.g. 3rd year BTechs allowed, 2nd year BTechs not allowed, etc.). These eligibility constraints are to be filled in by the course instrcutor and approved by DUGC (likewise DPGC for PG courses).”