The CSE department invites applications from students with a "research" bent of mind, to apply for admission to the Ph.D. programme. Applicants must have a creative drive, the willingness to work on challenging technical problems for a sustained duration, and the academic preparation in basic subjects of Computer Science.
Admission to the Ph.D. programme can be gained in various different categories (Full-Time, Part-Time, etc.). Please familiarize yourself with the categories and the admission requirements for each category by reading the official Ph.D. Information Brochure here.
In addition to Institute requirements as stated in the official brochure, the CSE department has its own admission requirements.
CSE department admission procedure
- The CSE department's recommendation will be based on the performance of the candidate in the following:
- Basic written/online test.
- Interview, which itself is conducted in two stages:
- Advanced written exam.
- Verbal Interview.
- Mathematical Aptitude: Discrete structures (sets, graphs, elementary counting and probability), elementary calculus, linear algebra, geometry.
- Programming Aptitude: Ability to write programs to solve simple problems. Use of elementary data structures such as arrays, lists, stacks, queues, trees. Familiarity with recursion. Ability to reason about programs, e.g., writing loop invariants and assertions.
- Computer Science and Engineering: Undergraduate Computer Science curriculum. One question each will be asked in each of the following areas and a candidate is expected to answer five: Algorithm Design and Analysis, Theory of Computation, Database Management Systems, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics and Image Processing, Compiler Construction.
The dates of the written tests and interview are final and cannot be changed under any circumstance.
Please note that the admission process for these categories remains similar and the candidates have to qualify the same written test. The only difference is that the candidates will be required to give their choice of projects on the day of the admission test and will be interviewed for their suitability for the project as also for admission to Ph.D.
Last Modified Date: 10-Nov-2016