The CSE department invites outstanding candidates to pursue the degree of Masters of Technology (M. Tech.) at IIT Bombay. The M. Tech. programme lets students do a number of specialized courses, as well as lets them explore their research and development skills through an year long project.
The courses at the CSE department will challenge your intellect and advance your knowledge in various subjects in Computer Science while the M. Tech. project will let you be a part of the various exciting research and development projects going on in the Department.
An M. Tech. at CSE-IITB will prepare you for both the highly sought-after industry jobs, or if research is what beckons you, for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.
Why pursue post-graduate studies?
These are exciting times for the ICT and IT-enabled industry in India. In the long run, our role in the world of computing will be defined not by the export of inexpensive commodity services, but by the quality of intellectual property that we produce and own through core technology development. Human intellectual capital is our single most precious asset. A post-graduate degree in Computer Science and Engineering is a must if you aspire to set yourself apart from the anonymous mass of "computer professionals" and to assume a leading role in transforming the industry, be it through research, advanced development, teaching, or entrepreneurship.
Why at IIT Bombay?
Read student's view of M. Tech.(CSE) at IIT Bombay - an introduction and top reasons why joining IIT Bombay may be the right decision for you.
Admission Requirements and Procedures
Please check the Institute post-graduate admissions Web-pages for institute-wide admission requirements and procedures. Application forms, description of qualifications required, and details on how to apply can be found there. For procedures and rules specific to the CSE department, in addition to the Institute wide rules, see below.
CSE Department Admission Requirements and Procedures
Admission to the M. Tech. programme can be gained in many different categories. Click here to familiarize yourself with each category and the requirements for admission to those categories.
- All categories require a minimum GATE score in GATE-CS.
- Admission into some categories in CSE require a written test followed by interview
Departmental admission policy
- Admission to the following categories is by "direct admission based on GATE cutoff"(see next point for an exception) : Teaching Assistantship (TA), Self Financed (SF). These are 2 year M.Tech. programmes.
- IIT B.Techs in CS/CSE with a CPI of at least 8.0 who have applied under the IIT B.Tech. category, and commissioned officers from the armed forces will be granted a waiver from GATE requirement. However they will have to appear for a written test and interview on 18th May 2016. Among other things they will be tested on programming skills and knowledge of basic CS subjects.
- Admission to following categories is based on written test followed by a programming/coding test (for RA positions) and an interview for shortlisted candidates: Research Assistantship (RA), Project Staff (PS), Institute Staff (IS), Sponsored (SW). Interviews will assume good working knowledge of Computer Science at the level of GATE. These are 3 year M.Tech. programmes. Here are some FAQs about a 3 year M.Tech. programme.
- Click here to know about current available positions for M.Tech. RA
Written Test Details
A written test will be conducted for all candidates called on 18th May-2016. The test will be of 2 hrs. duration and will consist of two sections:
- Programming aptitude
- Computer science
Details on MTech Admissions
Admission for the TA/SF categories will be based on GATE scores alone, except for IIT B.Techs with CPI of at least 8.0 and commissioned officers from the armed forces, who will have to appear for written test and interview . Candidates for other categories will have to write an exam possibly followed by a programming/coding test and an interview.The eligibility for the written exam for Sponsored Candidates is:
- Valid GATE score above a cutoff specified by the department
- First class in the qualifying exam
- Sponsorship certificate as in Appendices I and II of the M.Tech. Admissions Information Brochure 2016-17. It is important that the wording of the sponsorship certificate be exactly as in the form given in the brochure. Candidates with certificates whose wordings differ may be disqualified.
For categories which require written exam, possible programming/coding test, and interview at the CSE Department, these will be held on 18th May of this year (2016). Valid GATE (CS) score is a must for all applicants to the Mtech program in Computer Science and Engg. except commissioned officers of the armed forces and IIT B.Techs in CS/CSE with CPI at least 8.0. The department reserves the right to change the pattern of the written exam to include more or less material from the GATE (CS) portion.
Please refer to the institute admissions page for further information.
Note : The date of the written test and interview are final and cannot be changed under any circumstance.
Last Modified Date: 22-Apr-2016