Continuing Education Program Courses
Industry / Academia Outreach
- 1985 : Language ADA Open course to Industry participants, IIT Bombay.
- 1986 : QIP course on Introduction to Systems Software : 3 weeks, Engineering College
Faculty at IIT Bombay.
- 1988, 1989 : Computer Science Module DOE sponsored course at IIT Bombay.
- 1989 : CEP course on Informatics open course at IIT Bombay.
- Feb 1994 : Solid Modelling : Techniques and Applications , M/s Mahindra and Mahindra,
Mumbai, 25 participants, coordinator Prof. S S Pande from Mech Engg.
- Jan 1995 : Course on OS Principles and Unix Internals Open Course conducted at IIT Bombay
- Jan 1995 : Principles of Programming Languages , open course at IIT Bombay.
- Oct 1996 and Feb 1997 : Communications and Computer systems VSNL, Pune (30 participants),
Taught C/C++ programming and Unix internals with hands on practice sessions, 3 day course,
shared with Prof. Sanyal.
- June 1997 : Communications and Computer systems VSNL, Pune (25 participants), Same
contents as above.
- Oct 1997 : Communications and Computer systems VSNL, Pune (30 participants), Same
contents as above.
- Feb 1998 : Computer systems VSNL, Pune (30 participants), Same contents as above.
- June 1998 : Lex and yacc Datamatics, Mumbai, 3 day course, shared with A. Sanyal and
- Feb 2000 : Data structures TCS, Chennai (50 participants), Preparation of course materia
and inhouse training at Trivandrum for 2 days.
- 2000 : Operating System Internals to IDBI, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- 2001 : Programming in Java Institute of Software Engineering, Navi Mumbai, 20 participants.
- Mar 2001 : Unix Internals and C Programming Reliance Patalganga (30 participants),
Taught for one and half days during 4 weekends.
- Dec 2003 : Compiler Construction DRDO, Hyderabad (15 technical staff), 5 day course
offered at ANURAG, Hyderabad and shared with A. Sanyal and Uday Khedker.
Courses for Residents of IIT Bombay
Advanced Programming in C++ (similar to CS 201)
This CEP course was conceived on request from students (research scholars, M Techs and UGs) of IITB
way back in 2001. The course was conducted through 40 lecture hours spread over 5-6 weeks and
included evaluation comprising graded programming assignments and a three hour final examination.
Fifteen to twenty Teaching Assistants were hired to conduct the practice sessions. The course was
made open only to students and campus residents of IITB with nominal course fees. Though the commitment
of the instructor was heavy (6 weeks), spanning most of the summer break, it had been an immensely
satisfying experience to play a role towards creating interest and enhancing programming skills of
around three thousand members of the campus community over ten years, between 2001 and 2010.
* includes participants from Campus and FEAST, a SINE Company
|Participants ||Jan || Jun || Jun || Jun
|| Jun || Jun || Jun || Jun
|| Jan || Jun || Total |
| ||2001 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004
||2005 ||2006 ||2007 ||2008
||2009 ||2010 ||size |
|Students ||270 ||268 ||218 ||355 ||204
||347 ||319 ||203 ||170 ||242 ||2596|
|Others* ||25 ||30 ||35 ||38 ||46
||28 ||45 ||61 ||25 ||45 ||378|
|Total ||295 ||298 ||253 ||393 ||250
||375 ||364 ||264 ||195 ||287 ||2974|