KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA I.I.T. POWAI MUMBAI
ANNUAL REPORT 2003-2004
Honourable chief guest of the evening Prof. Ashok Misra, Chairman, VMC, Director-IIT, Madam Rashmi Misra, guest of honour Shree S.K. Kohli, General manager, Indian Oil Corporation, Assistant Commissioner K.V.S Mumbai region Shree T.N Satyamoorthy, all the members of the VMC, VEC, President and the members of the PTA, fellow Principals, distinguished guests, members of staff and dear children.
On behalf of all the members of Kendriya Vidyalaya IIT Powai and on my own behalf , I extend a warm and cordial welcome to all of you this evening. The academic year 2003-2004 has been a very purposeful and fruitful. The year witnessed many milestones of excellent achievements in Academics, C0-Curricular activities, Sports and games, which aimed at improving the quality education and all-round development of the students. I feel proud and privileged to present before you a brief report of the achievements of the school in the academic year 2003-2004.
In the CBSE Examinations in the year 2003, our students have fares very well. The overall ass percentage in class XII was 98.6%. in the science stream 44 students appeared, 44 passed, thus the percentage was 100%. In the arts stream 14 students appeared, 13 passed and the pass percentage was 92.8%. In the commerce stream 29 appeared, 29 passed and so the pass percentage was 100%. Three students were awarded the merit certificates from the CBSE, one in Informatics, one in Physics, and one in Geography.
In class X, 148 students appeared for the Board Examination, all of them passed and the result was 100%. the topper in class X, Preetha Subramaniam scored 97% marks. Merit certificates were awarded to 10 students, 6 in Sanskrit, 2 in Science and 2 in Social Studies. The Rotary club of Powai felicitated 30 students from class X and XII who scored above 90% marks in the Board Exams and brought glory to our Vidyalaya.
In the internal examination conducted by the Regional office centrally, our children fared best among all Schools. Overall pass percentage in the secondary section was 95%.
1) In July 2003, an additional section of XI science was started in our Vidyalaya.
2) Our School is the first school in the Mumbai region to introduce Biotechnology as a subject in Class XI Science Stream in 2002.
3) Our school is also the first to start the English language Lab in the Vidyalaya in September 2003. The financial aid to set up the lab was given by the Celetron Indian Limited.
4) Counseling Cell started functioning form December 2003 for the welfare of the students. The counselor can be contacted in the Vidyalaya by the parents on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
5) Other developments include beautification of the school premises.
6) Botanical garden in the vidyalaya was developed with the help of IOC. Indian Oil Corporation extended their help by donating Rs.50,000 for the last year's Annual Day celebrations and Rs.10,000 for this year's farewell party of class X and XII students. Even for this function they have agreed to donate Rs.50,000/-.
7) The construction of the water fountain in the front garden of the Vidyalaya was taken up by the Indian Navy.
Apart from excelling in academics our students also take part in various activities conducted in the school which are essential for the all round development of the students.
1) In the field of sports and games, I feel proud to announce that 5 students of our Vidyalaya represented our school in the Swimming competition at the national level, held in Delhi and brought home 2 gold, 4 silver and 2 bronze medals.
2) 200 students o four Vidyalaya took part n Parasailing, organized by NAF chapter of Maharashtra.
3) Here I would like to mention that the school has appointed special coaches to give training to various sports like Cricket, Basketball, Karate, Skating, Kabbaddi and Kho-Kho.
4) Two students of our Vidyalaya participated in the Standard Chartered International Mumbai marathon held on 15th February, 2004.
5) Apart from this, special teachers have been appointed for the promotion of art and craft in the school. Bharatnatyam was taught in the school, a glimpse of which will be given in our cultural programme. Classes for Spoken English were also introduced in the Primary Section.
Co-curricular activities- In addition to academics and various sports-games, there were many co-curricular activities conducted throughout the year. in the primary section 6 class-wise and 6 house-wise competitions were conducted where students got an opportunity to show their talent and bag prizes. A talent search was also conducted for the students of primary section on the occasion of Children's day.
At the Inter school level, 19 students of our Vidyalaya participated in various competitions organized by 'S'Kumar's' at Landmarc City, Wadala and brought home 4 first prize and 1 second prize. The school also received an 'overall 2nd position' in the competition.
Three students won cash prizes in the Inter school Tinkle quiz competition on General Knowledge and Science.
On the whole these various competitions gave the students a chance to discover their caliber and talent through various competitions like elocution, drawing and painting, art & craft and essay writing.
Besides taking part in different competition, students appeared for various exams like CYBER Olympiad, Maths Olympiad and Green Olympiad conducted in the school.
In the school we provide a platform in the form of school magazine RACHNA there by encouraging the students to put forth their creative writing skills. This year we published RACHNA in the month of September.
Throughout the year various art and drawing competitions were conducted, where students expressed their ideas through paint and brush. In a painting contest conducted by Colman's Colour and fine art company, Ishani Nigam of Class V got the first prize at the national level and won a Hero-cycle.
14 students of our Vidyalaya passed the Drawing Grade Exam conducted by the Government of Maharashtra.
52 students of our Vidyalaya appeared for the music exam conducted by Maharashtra Sugam Sangeet Samiti.
Our Vidyalaya encourages students to take part in different outdoor activities. In the month of December-January students of classes I to XII were taken to different places of the city for excursion. Last year in the month of April a group of 24 students and 3 escorts attended a trekking camp in Manali. this year a large group of 80 students with 6 escorts is leaving for Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh to attend an adventure camp tomorrow.
SCOUTS AND GUIDES
1) Cubs and Bulbuls Utsav- Cubs and Bulbuls Utsav was celebrated on 14.11.03 on the occasion of Children's Day.
2) Advanced Training Course for Scout Masters and Guide Captains was held in our school from 6 to 13th January 2004.
3) Preparation camps for the KVS state Rally is going to be held shortly in the third week of April, 04.
Our school band was invited to Pune on 21st September 2002 to play for the closing function of the Regional Sports Meet, Mumbai region. They put up an excellent show while giving the band display and held the audience spellbound.
Like the previous year, this year too, the school has received tremendous support from the parents and especially from Madam Mishra and her team through the members of "Manthan" and Ladies club in imparting special coaching to needy and weak children of class VI. I must mention the efforts taken by Mrs. Shyama Iyer and the volunteers of IIT under the patronage of Mrs. Rashmi Mishra, to help our children. They have not only helped the children academically but also played the role of mentor to them. This has certainly improved the result of class VI this year. In the new academic session, they have planned to introduce computer classes for the benefit of those students who do not have access to computers. I hope that these efforts would certainly help the weak children to improve.
we are fortunate to have Prof. Ashok Misra as our chairman. The dynamic approach of Prof. Misra and the careful guidance of Madam Rashmi Misra has made it possible in solving the problems of the school.
We are thankful to Prof. Ashok Mishra and I.I.T. authorities for providing all the necessary help and support. Here I could like to mention that the help was given by the authorities for the construction of the Bio lab and the repair of Chemistry lab. The authorities also helped us in the reconstruction of the Junior science lab. Today all the labs are fully functional and are being used by our students. under the supervision of the Dean planning and Executive engineer of I.I.T., the school building has taken a proper shape in way of structural repairs and painting of the school building. They have also accepted our request to build a cycle shed and badminton court.
Le me take this opportunity to thank the chairman and Madam Misra for their benign presence and the continuous encouragement to all our students in all their endeavors. Let me also thank Shree S.K. Kohli, General Manager IOC for the support and encouragement given by him to our Vidyalaya. The cultural programme that is going to be presented before you is just the glimpse of many of the activities taken by our children under the able guidance of many of our teachers. i am sure you would enjoy the programme presented by our students this evening. I thank you one and all for the patient and constant support given to our school. I welcome you all once again.
Ms. Sudeep Arora
|Copyright 2004 KVIIT PTA. All rights reserved|
Kendriya Vidyalaya IIT Bombay, Indian
Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai-400076.
Phone:(022) 25725061, 25721556
|Last modified: 2004-May-27||Your comments on this page|