Instructor: Ganesh RamakrishnanTAs: Aman Madaan, Pankaj Singh, Aman Gour, Bijoy Singh Kochar, Samkit Shah Arpan Kumar Chinmay Mhatre
- Calendar along with handwritten notes
- Main lecture notes from class. Other lecture notes can be found in this directory. Please email me for login and password.
- Exercises (including those outlined in the class)
- Assignments: To be posted on moodle
- List of applets for illustration of concepts taught in class.
Code and Datasets
- Scilab code: Scilab code associated with the primary textbook [Ross ]. You can download the local copy of the scilab code and a local copy of the scilab code description. The code has been reformated and reorganized for compatibility with Aakash tablets in both tar.gz and zip formats here. Somewhat detailed introductory notes on scilab can be downloaded here.
- Dataset1 for Assignments: Sample statistical report and all data from the report extracted into spreadsheets (with help from Tamal Das). The survey methodology, the household survey tool and the village survey tool will be relevant to discussions in the class.
- Dataset2 for illustration in class: The Census data for Thane district along with associated code for reading the data. In particular, you can invoke loaddata.sce that has all the commands.
- Miscellaneous data: You may listen to this talk making sense of tons of data (similar to the invited Techfest talk). The data that forms basis for these talks (as pointed out by P. Sainath himself) is listed below:
- Census of India
- National Sample Survey Organisation
- Economic survey of India (available online year by year alongside the budget)
- (More recently) India Human Development Report brought out by a group set up by the Planning Commission
- All the international comparisons are from: United National Development Programme (UNDP) Human Development Report. This is where the Human Development Index and rankings are anchored.
- The billionaire data is from forbes.com
- Economic survey (especially Table 1.17 on Page A22)
- Union buget annexure called Statement of Revenue Foregone which allows you to see the writeoffs for mainly rich people by way of corporate direct income tax, custsoms duty and excise duty writeoffs.
- You can find downloads specifically related to Aakash tablet here.
- We will borrow from and often refer to the previous offering of this course by Prof. Milind Sohoni
Time: Monday (9:30-10:30), Tuesday (10:30-11:30), Thursday (11:30-12:30)
Office hours (for doubt clarifications): Thursday, 2:00-4:00 PM
Credit Requirements Approximate credit structure
20% Mid-semester exam 40% End-semester exam 15% Programming assignments/project (team based) 15% Three quizzes (best two of three quizzes used for grading.) 10% Team-based assignments (on piazza)